Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

Greener on the Other Side-The World of Post-Collegiate Training

"Oftentimes it is in the winds of change that we find our true direction" 

A very good friend of mine reminded me that once upon a time I used to blog about my training for all the world to see. And it's true, I gave up on this when I started graduate school and gave up on my life as a runner. But after a very long and wonderful chat with that friend, who is going through some running-related difficulties herself, I decided to give my little blog another shot and update the world on what it's like to be a runner when there is no more nationals, no more fans, no more press coverage. Instead, it becomes about you and graduate school and work and some running. There's no more stadiums for Kansas Relays, there's no more conference races or teammates to run with. No more coaches pushing you in workouts, no more free gym access, and no more recognition for being a college athlete.

But what there is is this: complete freedom. No longer does anyone tell me when or where or how far or how fast to run. Instead, training is just between me and my legs and what they can or cannot do on a certain day.

For so long I couldn't see a world beyond that of collegiate running and racing and training. I didn't understand that in the world of running there is so. much. more. out there. Races where you get paid if you win, people who aren't out to win the olympics but are just trying to defeat heart disease or cancer or AIDS. The title of "runner" isn't reserved for the few that can run 6 minute pace for a 10k or run over 50 miles per week. There's so much more out there, and so many runners who are so much more amazing than I can ever  hope to be.

But the point is this: what it comes down to is running for yourself, defeating your own demons (whatever they may be) and mayyyybe the competition too along the way. For me, instead of this demanding, stressful burden upon my shoulders races have become a privilege to run, and each run a gift.

I thought the other side of competition would be a bleak place, but what I've learned is that it's in fact better. I was devastated when my foot broke during regionals that last race. I know on here I wrote about ironman races and swimming and hope and strength, but my spirit along with my foot was shattered.

In truth though that injury was the best thing that could have happened to me. Forcing me to see my world without running woke me up and showed me that winning races wasn't the be all end all. Running became more spiritual and less of a task. And suddenly a weight was lifted off of my shoulders. In training runs and in workouts I was hitting times I couldn't even touch while I was in college. I was running 40 miles a week and then 50 and now 60. Something that wouldn't have been possible only a few short years ago. And now I'm running a marathon in 2 months.

So friends, keep your heads up and your dreams alive. Sometimes you find that the grass on the other side really is greener



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post and it's really good to see you back on here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) it's good to be back. I've missed this world

      Delete