Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Very Greatest Gift

So I told you that only dramatic things happen to me. When things happen in my life they don't just happen. They come in with a bang and go out in a boom. I had hoped that something would happen so that I could put it here to give you and example....so that I would have something current for my first illustration of Silver Linings.

Be careful what you ask for. But this is one may be the most applicable yet. In fact I'm glad I get to start with this because what it shows is the greatest Silver Lining of all: Life.

This past Sunday it snowed here in Wisconsin. Not the pretty, light, fluffy stuff from Christmas movies but the cold, wet, half ice-half snow that we get here in February. Let me apply a disclaimer: I AM a good driver. In fact it seems like I'm even better than I thought. On this particular Sunday my unfortuantly strong streak of independance convinced me that I would properly be able to drive in these disgusting conditions. So I was on my way up to my boyfriend's house, on the phone with my mom, talking about something completely pointless I'm sure. All of a sudden I completely lost control of my car. My car's rear spun to the left and my nose hurdled towards the median of the 6-lane highway. I grabbed my wheel and over-corrected. Instead however, of halting to a stop the snow and ice made it impossible. My tail this time went to the left and I suddenly found myself driving the wrong way across three lanes of packed traffic. It was then that I thought the giant, black, SUV would be the last thing I ever saw.

Don't ask me how the next part happened. Or how I'm here. I saw the SUV and then I looked up and the next thing I knew I was on the shoulder. Not just the shoulder of the highway but the shoulder of an off-ramp. Perfectly safe and out of the way of traffic. I don't know how I got there. Nor will I claim to have the skills of a NASCAR and tell you I got there on my own . I also do not know how the SUV did not hit me.

So I got out of my car and there was: NO DAMAGE. I continued driving for about 10 minutes before I puttered to a stop on the side of the highway again. I got out a second time to look at my car and saw what had caused all of my problems. I hadn't lost control. I hadn't hit the median. What had happened is that my tire blew. Thats why I slid. That's how I lost control.

So there I sat on the side of the I-43 North. Alone. In a snowstorm.
Maybe sometimes that's what it takes. Because that is when I was able to calm myself down and see the lining. There were several small ones: There was no big, expensive damage done to my car. I am NOT a bad driver. All things considered: I'm quite a good driver. I got to spend some extra time with my boyfriend after he came and rescued me from the side of the highway. I didn't have a scrath on me.

Oh...and it could have been worse. I could have hit the median. I could have gotten bulldozed by the phantom SUV. I could have been hit. or killed. That's when I really stepped back and looked at it.

No matter how bad or dismal the situation. No matter what has happened to you, or the direness of the your problems, take some time first to look at the little positives in the situation. But take a step back and open your eyes a little wider. You, if nothing else have your life. This life is at the very least, the very greatest gift you ever have or ever will recieve. It can also be taken away at a moments notice. So for that be greatful for each and every day that you have during your time here and never forget that life itself is the ultimate blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment