Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

a final note of encouragement

To my strong, wonderful legs,
     Tomorrow is the day. No really, I mean THE day. The day you get to try running again. I know it's been a really long time, and I know you're a little bit afraid that you've forgotten how to move quickly. It's O.K. don't be nervous! I have a lot of confidence in you. No, I DO! I promise. I'm sorry for being so angry with you. I know this injury wasn't your fault. It was mine. Here are some things to help you out tomorrow:
      I know you're afraid of getting hurt again but remember how much rest we've had! Holy cow! You haven't run since May 13th. Now it's June 6th. You're so rested. There's no way it'll hurt.
      In that time, yes, you've gotten a lot of rest but you've also become so much stronger! I can't believe how well you handled those excruciating days of cross training...learning to ride a bike..somehow increasing your pool endurance.(volume AND speed). Plus the hip-strengthening exercises and all of the physical-therapy type activities I've been faithfully doing for you...wow.
    You've come back from WAY worse injuries than this. IT band being the most recent. Nothing can be more horrible than ITB Syndrome! Well, except perhaps the stress fracture a few years back....but that's my point! This is nothing compared to that. So don't worry :)
     We'll start off slow with just a mile or two and then go swimming afterwards O.K.? I promise that I won't go crazy. Before you know it we'll be back up to 50 miles a week. And you? You'll be as fast as ever!
     I'm sorry for everything I put you through these past 8 months. I promise to be nicer to you in the future, and take better care of you as I should have. You're the best. Thanks for carrying me through this past year.
     Have confidence, believe, and smile! I can't wait till tomorrow!
                                                                                                                                       Love,
                                                                                                                                            Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment