Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Signs I'm an Exercise Addict in RFF Form

"Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free until they find someone just as wild to run with" -Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City


1. The good news is my foot is not broken (but the whole world knew that except for me I think.)

2. The bad news of course, is that I'm still an idiot. This is why:

3. Last week I raced on Wednesday.

4. On Saturday I decided to run for an hour and 20 minutes. Genius.

5. So then I woke up on Sunday and I ran a bit and my foot started hurting later that afternoon. I fell into some sort of hysterics about my foot being broken again. I didn't do my second run Sunday night, I didn't run  Monday and Tuesday was more of an experiment in pain tolerance than a jog. Wednesday I didn't even touch my running shoes.

6. Luckily I have the best family in the world. For that I can never be thankful enough.

7. My aunt came to visit on the Fourth of July and so I drove south to visit her and my parents. Distraught about my foot, and life in general I spent the morning with her talking about running and my injuries, and life and stretching out my tight hips and checking over my running form.

We discovered that I'm still favoring my heel. After 9 months I'm still afraid to run on it. So therefore, on my left leg I fall into the habit of running on the outside of my foot. Perhaps...perhaps this is why my arch is hurting.

And in addition, I fell into the "too much too soon" trap again. I don't have a good reason for why I needed to run for an hour and 20 minutes only two days after my first race since November. I freely admit my exercise addiction and that's probably why. I know you're rolling your eyes right now, but running is just so stinking addicting. Unfortunately I've barely been able to run since.

After the 3 hour stretching/massaging/therapy session with my aunt (who is apparently a miracle worker) I was able to run 5 miles pain free. I wasn't in the mood to test my luck so after 40 minutes I stopped running. But it was pain free and that's the important part. I also concentrated really, really, hard on my foot plant and that seemed to help me a bit too.

So now it's been massaging and stretching 24/7 and worrying about running or not running and trying to get back to running a ton. Story of my life. But I'm still learning my lesson, and I'm still learning about moderation, and still learning that you can't just take out all of your frustrations in a 12 mile run per day (not yet that is) Curse these stupid self-inflicted injuries.

8. I will do an ironman. Maybe and ultra marathon. Just gotta keep being patient with myself, and keep a good head on my shoulders when exercise addiction threatens to take over.


9. My job interview went well this week. Crossing fingers I get this job ...even if it means leaving the bike shop :(

This week's goal: Cut down on running, and keep believing :)

Happy weekend everyone. Stay cool in this ridiculous weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment