Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Curiouser and Curiouser (Part 1)

The Mad Hatter"Have I gone mad?" 
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are"
-Alice in Wonderland



When you're around psychology enough you sometimes begin to question your own mental stability. I can spit out the textbook definition for everything from schizophrenia to multiple personality disorder to bipolar, to pica (pica is where the person craves and eats non-edible items-like dirt and plastic) Let me tell you, once you read these symptoms day in and day out you begin to see them in yourself.

But what makes it a serious question of mental stability when you are evaluated by a mentally unstable person. Seriously. If a crazy person thinks you're crazy....it means you probably are. This means I probably am.

Patient #1
Me: (smiling):  "Hello! are you here to see Dr. J***?"
Patient: (not smiling): "Who. Are. You????"
Me: (confused smile) "I'm Katie. Are you here for an apointment with--"
Patient: (cutting in-still not smiling back) "I don't know you. Who are you?
Me: "Um...I'm Katie...I work here"
Patient: "Are you sure? I've never seen you here before. Are you like a bookkeeper or something?"    
                           *Side note: I've worked in the same office for 2 years now. He hasn't seen me before because he's new. I'm not. So now I'm wondering if maybe just giving in will be the response that he wants. Also I am NOT a bookkeeper. I am a psychologist-in-training! (intern). But he's close enough so:

Me: (more smiling): "Um sure. I'm Katie, I'm the bookkeeper, I do all of the paper work.
Patient (eyes widen): "I don't trust bookkeepers. I'm not talking to you. The Dr. will be with me shortly."

I'm supposed to get to be the one who says the Dr. will be with you shortly. This guy doesn't even trust me to say the one line that I get to say to patients.
 So I go and get the Dr. tell him his patient is here and that he doesn't want to talk to me. The Dr. looks at me and starts laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment