Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

If walls could talk....

6:00-Wake up-and go back to bed.
8:00 Actually get up.
Begin.
So it's raining of course. Because on the day that I have to move all of my belongings from Milwaukee to Fort Atkinson it WOULD rain. (this is how my life goes. please refer to previous posts). I guess I'm not surprised that it's raining, so it's not like it's a huge deal.
Before anything I decide to do my workout for the day-a 55 minute HCS (hard core swim) This means all freestyle stokes...all the time....and absolutely no stopping until the last 3 minutes where you cool down with kick boarding.
I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking when I went for a 55 minute HCS before I began packing up my life and moving it an hour south. Clearly I forgot the fact that now I will be exhausted before I even start the heavy lifting process. Good plan Katie, good plan.
So 2 days ago I carried a giant box into my bedroom. It was so big that it didn't actually fit through the doorway and I had to carry it in sideways. Fast forward 2 days. In that time I completely filled said box with every article of clothing that I possess, several pairs of shoes, and whatever odds and ends laying around my room that didn't already have a box of their own to belong to. What I forgot, and you probably have too by now is that the box only fits through my door sideways. Now after 2 days of filling the box is minimally twice my body weight. The chances of me picking it up and tilting it on it's side to fit back through my door? zero to none.
Spend the next 20 minutes trying to force box through doorway. Fail. Cry.( Ok....I didn't cry but I was pretty frustrated.) Plus in addition to the original problem (box doesn't fit through door) I now have made an additional problem for myself. (box is now stuck halfway through the door.) So I climb back and forth over the box a couple times and attempt to push and pull it the rest of the way. More failure.
Finally Tom, the senior in charge of my apartment building takes pity on me and my pathetic muscles and comes over and forces it the rest of the way through for me.
You would think that someone used to running for hours at a time would not be so exhausted by this box-moving. Sadly, to combination of the HCS and the lack of upper body strength has come together and I'm exhausted. I finish cleaning my now-empty apartment. So here I sit in the middle of the floor in an empty room. This year, this apartment, has brought so many changes for me. It's strange how now that it's empty I'm remembering it all. Here are just some of the things this apartment witnessed:
  • Me failing. Many epic failures (everything from today's box moving to neuropsychology assignments)
  • Me getting the highest  GPA I've ever had
  • Me laying on the floor sobbing because it seemed like the world was about to cave in on me
  • Me jumping on my couch to "All Star" by Smashmouth in celebration of making it to NCAA nationals in cross country.
  • Me swearing off boys forever and planning on becoming a crazy cat lady
  • Me falling in love again despite the whole crazy cat lady plan
  • Me learning about psychology, and anthropology, and life
  • Me growing even more into the person I am to become
Good year, good apartment, who's walls have witnessed so much of my life in such a short amount of time.
2:55pm Take a deep breath and look around empty apartment one last time.
3:00pm Journey back to Fort Atkinson.
3:55 pm Mentally prepare self to shove box into my parents house.

No comments:

Post a Comment