Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Cross Roads


"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realist thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free."
-Once a Runne
r

 
This is one of those semi-sentimental posts about how much I love running. And how thankful that I am that I get to do it. Hopefully it's not getting too repetitive.

I move back to school this Sunday. I guess I'm a little anxious as most students are. But I'm double anxious for cross country. I mean, I've been hurt off and on (but mostly on) ever since Nationals last cross country season. Right now my biggest worry is getting hurt again. I've put a lot of work in with physical therapy this summer and I don't want that to go to waste.

However, on that note: I can't thank my physical therapist enough for everything that he did for me this summer. When I walked into his clinic 3 months ago and begged to use his Alter-G just so that I could run again I didn't think that I would be able to run normally for months. On day one he asked me how many miles a week I minimally needed to be up to in order to feel prepared for the season. I said 40. By Saturday I will be at 42 miles, 47 miles of biking and 1 hour of swimming and 1 Pilates class this week.

This morning I ran alone. No music. No civilization. On the outskirts of my town there's a park with a few miles of trails that I like to run at. And just because I was feeling great I ran the last 10 minutes completely barefoot.  I ran for an hour and 2 minutes. I could have run for 2 hours. Or maybe forever.

Somehow my knees and IT bands are miraculously better. Maybe. Just maybe this is the end. Maybe just maybe I'll be back to where I was at the end of last cross country season.

Though, I will admit that these worries completely disappear the second I start running. So now here I am at a cross roads of sort between being injured and being able to move on. Yes, I'm worried that I won't be able to get past it. I don't want to spend the entire season worried about getting injured. I have to learn now, to trust myself, to trust my legs, and to trust in that love of running.

No comments:

Post a Comment