Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

All Grown Up and Getting a PsyD.

"I am fairly certain that given a cape and a tiara [and a PsyD.] I could save the world."


Alright all no pomp and circumstance. No glitz or fluff. I'm just going to come out and say it. I have made my decision.
I'm staying in Milwaukee. I will be getting my Psy.D (similar to a PhD. but specifically for clinical psychologists) at a place called Wisconsin School of Professional Psychology.


There are countless reasons for this but let me take you through a few important ones.

1. I made a pro/con list. At the top of the school in California's list was adventure/fun/school reputation. At the top of Wisconsin's list was family/friends. Priorities? yeahhhh If something happened to either of my parents, my grandparents, any of my close friends I don't want to be thousands of miles away.

2. I'd like to stay here and train for triathlons. I realize that my focus should be on graduate school but I'd still like to take my training somewhere after all of this. You know? Oh...and my team of course. I can't go for runs with them if I'm in California now can I?

3. I feel extremely confident that this is where I'm supposed to be. All of the signs are pointing here and I just feel a need to be here. I started my growing up here in Wisconsin, I'm going to finish it here.

4. I care about Milwaukee, and the community here that I've grown oh so attached to. I want to use my PsyD. to save people who have suffered psychological trauma. And the people that I want to focus that saving on happen to exist in Milwaukee. I love Milwaukee, and I love it's people. Someday it's a community that I want to give back to.

5. In Cali I could get one room for $600/month. Same amount of money in Milwaukee would get me a whole apartment.

6. I would miss my dog.

7. Most important of all the school here really  wanted me. They accepted me within 3 days. I want to be somewhere that is going to believe in me.

It was a really difficult week for me. I've never debated a decision more than I've debated my graduate school decision. I cried a couple times, and was cranky a lot, and didn't sleep a wink. But in the end of it I'm pleased with the decision that I made and even moreso that I made it all on my own. I believe that the next 5 years of my life I need to be in Wisconsin even though I feel that I need an adventure too.

My solution is to find a different adventure to go on. Besides, school shouldn't be the adventure. I'm going to need something to take my mind off of the mindless 4 more years of school I have to go through. So the adventure should take me away. Any thoughts?

So far I'm kind of thinking backpacking in the mountains, going on a service trip (habitat for humanity etc...) or my favorite: a HUGE solo cycling trip. Preferably to an ocean. (I'm thinking Virginia?).

This then, is the next step in my life. "Learning to Fly" isn't just for fast running. It's for me jumping out of the nest and learning to make it on my own for the first time ever.

Carpe Diem my friends!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a service trip or a backpacking trip...follow your dreams, wherever they take you. You said it best in your closing, CARPE DIEM :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No mention of a boyfriend in this mix of things...?

    ReplyDelete