Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Running in the Rain

"Hope is never lost"


I woke up today at 5:30 A.M. and my first thought was "I get to run in the rain today." Can you imagine that I haven't felt what it feels like to run in the rain in over 5 months? What a memory to lose! But today...today I get to run in it.

Running, was never anything like I expected it to be. Not at first, not now.
I expected it, at first, to be tiring, and boring and something that I'd never really like. It turned into something that I didn't like. I loved.

When I ran for the fist time Wednesday it also was nothing like I thought it would be. I thought it would be scary and painful and hard. But really, running again, was not as difficult as I imagined.

As you may have guessed by now, I got cleared by my doctor to start running again. A little. And slowly.

As I stood at the top of a hill looking down willing myself to run there was no party, no cheering section. Just me and my broken foot, and some sort of courage.

But went after 5 minutes I did start making my way down that hill for the first time in 5 months. And it didn't hurt. And it wasn't really that awkward. I didn't limp. It wasn't terribly slow. When I pictured  for the past months what my first run  would be like, I pictured fearful and timid and pitiful and slow. In fact, it wasn't really that different at all. I wasn't confused. Just....slightly more out of breath than I used to be.

After all 8 minutes I looked around and felt for the first time so lucky to have gone through this whole ordeal and learning what I did and knowing what I still have yet to learn. And lucky that I get to feel what it's like to run in the rain again.

Oh....and since it's Friday, here's a few random facts for you:
1. I love cleaning my apartment

2. I get really aggravated by people who brown nose.

3. I like orchids and sunflowers

4.I like vintage things and could spend days on etsy.com

5. My parents never spanked me, never grounded me, never took away t.v. We've always gotten along really well.

6. Eating red meat makes me feel gross.

7.  I love cooking for other people.

8. Trail mix is my biggest weakness. Followed by peanut butter.

9.  I dance around my apartment a lot. I would say quite a bit more than the average person has random solo dance parties.

10. I never check my voicemail.

Happy weekend, happy running! (or whatever it is you do to make you happy)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that your run went well my friend! I also love the fact that you said I "GET" to run in the rain again...it is a wonderful experience isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best running experience ever. Rain=awesome

    ReplyDelete