Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

About Being Thankful

"Happiness isn't getting everything you want. It's being thankful for everything you have"


You know what I'm not thankful for? Having a broken foot. Not thankful for crutches, or the first Thanksgiving that as long as I can remember, I haven't gone running during for my own version of "thanksgiving".


 Do I miss running? Do I ever. It hurts too much to even think about running right now. I miss the endorphins, the rush, the tired legs, the wind, the speed. I miss the smell of fall and the feel of running shorts and the freedom of it all. The freedom of using nothing but my own power to get somewhere, and knowing that no one in the world can know exactly where I am. But if being injured has taught me anything it's that everything that I have is precious. Life can change in an instant, in one wrong step, all before you realize that the change is even occurring.


So this Thanksgiving for me isn't about turkey and cranberries or football or a vacation from school. And sadly it's not about a 10 mile run at 5 in the morning to show my thanks for the greatest gift that I've ever been given.


No, this year I'll be focusing on being thankful for everything that I do have left and never taking anything for granted. Each instant, each run, because you never know which will be your last. 


I'm so thankful for people that love me enough to take care of me. I don't like to be taken care of, and I tend to be too independent for my own good. But I'm so thankful that they insist on taking care of me anyways no matter how many times I declare "I'm fine"

I don't know how I would have navigated through these past two weeks without them. It wasn't until I couldn't run that I realized how much my teammates and my friends really cared for me. Or maybe, I just never stopped running long enough to notice before this.

 I'm thankful for eating turkey and stuffing and cranberries and calcium supplements. For the good leg that I do have and the fact that at least my patellofemoral is healed.I'm thankful for the torture rest that is finally being forced upon me. I'm thankful for my parents and my dog and the rest of my wonderful family, the rest of my wonderful life. And so much more.

Lucky me :)







No comments:

Post a Comment