Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

One-Legged Adventures

"Some hearts do not need speed training, they were just simply made to give life everything"


 I like to go on adventures with my crutches. Just because I can't run does not mean my sense of adventure will be dissuaded in any way shape or form. Over this past Thanksgiving break I've been taking countless adventures with my crutches..

I went walking a lot...er...crutching. There's something soothing about being about to get out and walk around my town.
Though going on walks on crutches is easier said than done. Now that it's November in Wisconsin and finally getting cold it's also pretty slippery. So I have to be really really careful not to lose my balance. That said I lose my balance at least once every five minutes, try as I might. Usually this is primarily due to my foot moving too fast for my arms to keep up with.






Nothing's really changed though. On all of my runs I start out too fast. Always have, always will. It's well known by both my coach and all of my teammates that I'll on average start out 30 seconds per mile faster than I'm supposed to be targeting. Now, I don't know how paces convert properly to crutches. However, I do know that if there is such a thing as crutch-sprinting that's what I do for the first half mile or so.... unfortunately I am then exhausted for the remainder of the walk. But you know what? If I get to feel awesome for half a mile...it's totally worth it.


This is me getting ready for my walk....I realize that it's not really what most people expect to see an injured person doing but I don't care. And yes, in case they don't stare enough I decided to wear a neon pink sweatshirt.


AND on days when it's really slippery outside I'll go to the mall and get my exercise instead....and a bit of retail therapy as well.

And finally of course puppies always help to cure  broken heels and broken hearts and broken spirits. I spent a lot of time cuddling with my puppy after I got done with my walks.





This week's goal: go to the pool and kick my legs in the water...and try to flex my foot all the way.
Two more weeks until my next x-rays. Two more weeks till maybe getting to walk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment