Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

The Things About Me Which Are Not About Running

"Dreamers are not people disconnected from reality. Dreamers are people fully connected to reality's potential.”

There's very little that this blog says about me besides about running. If we're being realistic here, there's little that I say about myself even in every day life which is not about running. When it comes to personal issues I am actually quite a private person, and I don't share my daily emotional struggles or deeper issues.

However, there's something to be said about focusing on the aspects of my life which are not about running. For now anyways. At the soonest I'm halfway through the crutches phase of my injury. So that means that at the soonest I can try to walk in about two weeks. But it might be longer. I still have a long, long road in front of me. Maybe it's time to start focusing not on what I'm not doing (i.e. RUNNING) and think about the things that I am doing. There's more to life than being a runner you know. (yes, yes, I know. It's about time I took my own advice)

Apart from not running there are a lot of things going on in my life right now. I'm up to my neck in graduate school applications. I know you all know that I like psychology but what I'm actually hoping to do is start a whole new field of psychology when I get out of grad school which deals with the legal rights of rape/harassment victims.  There are people deal with the physical and legal side of these crimes. However, there aren't very many who deal with the psychological ramifications.

I used to play the flute a lot too. I was actually in band for close to 10 years and even got myself a flute scolarship. I'm not by any means "talented" but I was good enough by the time I got to college.  I dropped band after my sophomore year  because it interfered too much with my upper level psychology classes.

I like to paint as well. When I was going through that angst-y time in high school I used to paint pictures all the time-one of them even went to our conference's art show one time. Again, I don't do it as much because I don't have unlimited time but maybe it's something I can pick up again.

And as if you can't tell I like to write. In high school I was the editor of our student newspaper the "Warrior Times Weekly"  Aside from that I've kept a journal since the time I was in fifth grade. So yes, my entire life is documented. I've done a little bit of poetry and some short stories. And of course, my blog. I went through a very long period of time in my life when I wanted to be a journalist for the New York times.

I like bright colors, and loud music that I can dance to. I'm obsessed with horses because they can run fast. I would do anything for a pet horse actually.  I love Disney movies most but also movies about horses and pirates and superheros.  I want nothing more than to be my own person and be known for that. My favorite time of day is 6am because it's quiet and I love nothing more than to watch the sunrise. I still jump in leaf piles and climb up snow piles. Whenever it thunderstorms I always watch it. Sometimes I go outside and dance in the rain. I'm obsessed with all things organic because I just feel "better".   I'm really bad at Spanish and really good at English.  I like drinking tea late at night while doing homework. I think sleeping is a huge waste of time. I feel lazy whenever I get more than 6 or 7 hours. When I'm not at school I dedicate a large amount of time volunteering at humane societies.

I've said before that running is the greatest gift I've ever been given. But this isn't true. The greatest gift, is life. Even though I can't run, I'm also trying so hard not to forget this and to celebrate life every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment