Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

December To Do List

“Hope is a good thing, maybe the best thing, and no good thing ever dies”


Sorry in advance that this post is a little random. I've got a lot on my mind these days and far far too much time to think. Usually I do all my thinking once a week on a nice 10 mile run. But now it's  not so easy. 
Seriously? This girl had cancer. twice. and recovered. twice. and is now going to the Olympics. I don't remember the last time I ever found something so inspiring and applicable. I mean, if she can do it...I can get over a broken foot right? ...right? I mean it's sort of a reality check for me. I've been doing relatively well but this right here really makes me see how good I have it. 

I don't know about 10k's this spring. Or about running at all. But I'm still planning on a marathon next fall. And a century ride this spring. So I told my coach that running or no running my teammates are still the most important people in the world to me and I will be there every day whether I'm running, or on my bike, or driving them to the pool for cross training, or on crutches. I've been in love with running my whole life. Not running for 6 months isn't going to change that.

But really being on crutches isn't all that bad. Everyone opens the door for me when they see me coming. And cars actually stop for me when I cross the street. And it's brought me much, much, closer to almost everyone in my life. And I don't have to do my own laundry anymore.

And let's be honest. One of my favorite things about running was really to do things that no one else could do, to push myself harder, to run longer. What can I say? I like people to think I'm crazy. So really all I have to do to achieve that same feeling is go on a walk with my crutches for an hour. I mean, really...who does that? Me I guess. Somehow, even though I'm not running my teammates, the people at my school, they all still think I'm crazy...and for some reason they all still think I'm fast.

 I went to the mall on Tuesday just to do a few laps in a warm environment and get some blood flow back to my legs and be able to think a bit. Surprisingly a lot of people genuinely asked me what happened. One of them being the nice guy who was playing Santa Claus. So, when he asked I crutched over there and told him my story. He expressed how sorry he was and I responded "Well, if you could please bring me a new calcaneus bone for Christmas I'd really appreciate it."  ho.ho.ho.

Since it's the first day of December here are my month goals:
1. GET RID OF CRUTCHES AND BOOT!!!!!
2. Walk by December 12 (this will be 1  month since regionals)
3. Go on a bike ride by Christmas.
4. Go for a run on Christmas day. It doesn't matter if it's one mile, or one block, or one minute. I WILL do it.
5. Calcium...Protein....
6. Get into graduate school.
7. Stop neglecting ab workouts.
8. Keep being my optimistic, happy, thankful for what I have little self. No matter how long I don't run for.
9.  Stop biting nails
10. Go to early-season track practices every day on crutches. Be best captain possible on crutches. Learn names of all of my teammates







No comments:

Post a Comment