Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Moon

"Go ahead. Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll be among the stars" 


Disclaimer: I do not usually share my goals with anyone. I know all athletes have to make goals so here is my best attempt. I don't like making goals because I'm a sissy and I'm really afraid of failure  I want so badly to succeed. And I guess if you make goals...and put yourself out there, then everyone will know if you failed and  they will then hate you forever and think you're a loser  I'm afraid to disappoint my family, my friends, my coach, myself.

Alright, alright, I'm a huge baby when it comes to setting goals for myself. Yes, I have them in my head. I  might be thinking them, but I don't like to talk about it. When I'm extremely focused on something I like to shut myself away from the entire world.

However, with only 4 (gasp!) days to go here are my "goals" related to regionals. 


Here's the thing.  Four weeks ago I didn't even think I'd make it through the season. I had prepared myself to have to choose between running conference and regionals. I told myself that maybe I'd train for a century ride instead of go out for track. Maybe I wouldn't run for a year to let my body heal. 


And look at me now. I've already accomplished so much more than I thought that I could. I'm about to make it through the season (relatively) healthy. And here I am throwing around the word "nationals" and "PR" and the like just as though nothing ever happened.

As far as goals go I've already accomplished a lot. While I didn't PR at conference I did drop a minute and 30 seconds from what I had been running all season. I never thought I'd be able to defend my conference title this year after the races that I had been running. But I did. What I took out of conference, however, wasn't just first place, or the plaque that I got to take home. What I got was my confidence back. That's really why I am where I am right now.

I'm excited to be running regionals on legs that I never thought would be the same. I'm excited to be running regionals with goals in place. As scary as it is, it's better have high goals then to not have goals at all. I'm excited that I've come so very far in such a short amount of time, and excited at the possibilities stretching before me. Most of all though, for everything I'm just so very thankful.

Will I be disappointed if I don't reach all of my goals? Yes. I will be. Wouldn't you? However, at the same time I'm not going to be crushed because of how much I've already accomplished this season, how far I've already come.

That said I'd sill like to run a strong race. Now for me that entails both physically and mentally  a strong race. There is from here on out no more giving up. As I said last week there will be no more negative talk, no more negative thoughts. No more talking about being injured or out of shape or anything else related to reasons why I may not succeed. For me, my mental strength is key and that's a lot of what went missing earlier this season. I'd like to tuck myself right into the middle of that lead pack and hang on with everything I have. From there I'll let my legs take me where they will, and I'll trust them to carry me through the remainder of the race.

Always set your goals as high as you'd like. When you don't you it doesn't make it better if you don't reach them. It doesn't make you feel better about yourself. If you don't have goals you can't get anywhere. If you don't dare to dream you're only holding yourself back.

Believe that you can. No matter what that unattainable goal is, don't just give up on it because you're afraid you won't get there someday. It's not the outcome that matters in the end, it's the fact that you tried to get there. Go ahead and shoot for the moon, for that P.R., for the top 50 finishers, for that last minute that you need to drop, for whatever it is for you. Even if you don't get there, the journey itself will have been worth your while.

No comments:

Post a Comment