Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Learning to Swim

Dory: Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down do you wanna know what you've gotta do? 
Marlin: No I don't wanna know. 
Dory: [singing] Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim.



I have never swum,(swam? swimmed?) this much in my life. I used to pat myself on the back when I would swim for a full hour. Now, my workouts on average are at least 90 minutes. I've been doing actual workouts as opposed to using it only as "cross training" and doing the appropriate drills (like pulling etc...). Results? ....My arms hurt. 


But here's my current favorite workout...


500 WU Choice
300 Kick
300 Pull (150 free, 150 back)
800 Fast
800 Breath every 5 strokes
800 Breath every 7 strokes
300 Pull
300 Kick
500 Cooldown


One of my friends that used to be on a swim team suggested it. I don't know if it's doing anything but it sure feels like it is. 


Also, however, track practice has now officially started. It's funny because I didn't miss running that much, didn't think I'd miss it that much, until I saw my team running intervals without me yesterday around the indoor track. I'm fine in the mornings with my swims, with my own stuff. I'm completely at peace with what this is and the fact that I cant run. I know it's all for a reason. But it's tough to watch them do it every day. 


In the same breath it would also be impossible for me not  to be there, because I love them all so much, and I can't imagine just ditching my teammates, my friends, my family because I can't run. I don't want to lose them and running all at the same time. It just makes me feel a bit nostalgic I suppose, makes me hope that they aren't taking all of the steps they're running for granted. 




And finally....I'm realizing that nutrition is something that I'm not going to be able to figure out on my own. I'm contemplating going to a nutritionist to see if they could help me out with this osteopenia thing. Furthermore, my (new) physical therapist told me that one of the best things after osteopenia is to....weight lift. Which, I really hate, so there's another department I'm going to have to improve in. 


Aren't the arm muscles I'm building for 2 hour pool workouts enough???

1 comment:

  1. I feel like nutrition is definitely something it's good to have help with, even if you do your research and know what you need to do.

    I like that swim -- it looks like an easy way to get yardage up without getting crazy bored. I'll add it to my rotation!

    ReplyDelete