Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I've Never Been So Excited About Having Saddlesore

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it." - Jean de La Fontaine


I biked today. Outside. Here in Wisconsin you can count ON ONE HAND the number of days in January that have been over 30 degrees. And today was 45. It was a gorgeous day.....How could I not  go bike riding. 


But let's start with yesterday. Chuck, my new physical therapist (we'll put him in the same category as the best physical therapist ever) gave me permission to try another 30 minute ride. I had a disaster a couple of weeks ago when I tried to go for a ride and it didn't go so hot. I promised Chuck no more than 30 minute (I almost completely kept my promise. It was something like 35.)


Of course I had to pump up my tires first. Of course I didn't bring the good pump to college. Bike lesson #1 never ever use hand pump again. So there I was at 11 o'clock last night sitting on the floor of my apartment swearing at my poor bike pump who just couldn't seem to get those tires pumped up. 
I got a little impatient to say the least. And sort of got bike grease all over. 






 So this afternoon I set out on my first bike ride since this summer. I was terrified for the first mile or so but got back into the rhythm and cadence a lot easier than I actually expected to. I made it 10 miles. My average was about 18 mph. There was a strong cross wind today making the trip back from my out-and-back a little difficult but all in all it was a great ride. 



It felt fantastic to be back on my bike again, and for just a few moments during it I legitimately felt like I wasn't injured, like I was getting better. It only fed the urge more, made me more excited to get back into the full swing of training. 



Not only that, but my pool workouts have been monstorous lately. The last two have hovered around the 2 hour mark. And this morning before my historic ride I did 70 minutes. 


The only thing that tweaked a little bit after my ride was my achilles and a couple of other miscellaneous tendons in my foot that aren't used to bike riding. Understandably so, I'm really gunshy right now and I do still feel that just the slightest wrong move will get me back on crutches 24/7 and back into the boot. 


On that note I haven't really been using my crutches all that much lately. Really they're just like training wheels. I'm uncomfortable and scared going anywhere without them. No matter whether I'm walking or not, I feel the need to carry them everywhere with my. I'm sure I look foolish walking to all of my classes carrying crutches under my arms, but it's not really my problem if other people think I look foolish is it?


Immediately after I got off the bike by crotch was a little sore. I've never never never been so thankful to have a sore crotch before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment